Thursday, August 26, 2010


While most parts of the United States baked or wilted under the scorching sun, California enjoyed a cool summer.

Yesterday, however it was a different experience. Temperatures touched 111 fahrenheit which is roughly equivalent to 43 degrees celsius. It was bloody hot. People here are not used to such record temperatures. It also led to a situation in our office where the fire alarms got triggered due to the excess heat. The air-conditioning unit supply got cut off.

Every afternoon during lunch time I go for a walk. At my workplace, there is a sprawling campus and its nice to walk with the greenery around.

But yesterday, the merciless sun made me cut my walk short and I returned to the cool environs of my cubicle (that is what I thought) until I realized that the airconditioning was switched off. But the one remarkable thing I appreciated about the US was the response time.

As soon as the fire alarms got triggered, the fire engines were there in no time. It also made me wonder, if people in India care so much about how every life is precious things would be a lot better.

(Image source: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mssociety.ca/images/sun.gif)

No comments: