Monday, April 09, 2012

My worst moment !!

In the highs and lows of life sometimes we come across moments where we berate ourselves for doing something stupid and I blame the modern affliction of instant gratification for that. Now here's what happened. I was scouring the web for a mattress on Craig's list (www.craigslist.org) and then I thought I found a really good bargain. The ad was for a mattress with a bed frame and a set of wheels for $120 with a delivery at the door step option for an extra fee.

Now as the google caption says "I am feeling lucky", I thought that was a good deal. What I didn't realize was that the script was going to go awry very soon.:( When I called this person he asked me when can I come and have a look and then I asked him about the delivery option he immediately responded by saying text me your address and I will be there. This was a 3 year old mattress. I asked him whether it had any bugs and he replied none. I replied that I would need some time and he insisted that he will come and deliver.

I had called up my brother earlier regarding this ad however couldn't make contact. So this guy comes to my place and then I had a look at the mattress, I felt something was wrong as it wasn't looking as pretty as the picture in the ad. At that moment my phone rang and it was my brother, he asked me not to go for a used mattress but somehow as this guy had already come to my place I just paid him $120. His eyes lit up and he made a quick exit. When I started having a close look at the bed frame and the mattress and struggled to put the rails below the frame, I started having my own doubts. I could see stains and hair particles all over. I realized that an used mattress was not an good idea and when I was lifting the mattress, I had this itching sensation. I was really scared that by going for a cheap bargain, I would end up infesting my home with bugs and compromising on a good night's sleep. The last thing you would want was to sleep on a mattress which can have bugs crawling all over and ending up as a delicious meal for the blood thirsty creatures in the night.

I regained my senses and all the while huffing and puffing pulled the mattress and the bedframe towards the garbage bin. As I had a last glimpse of the mattress and the frame I saw my money go up in smoke. It all happened within an hour. I felt like a real loser, a jack ass and there are no words left to describe that eerie feeling which still persists. I immediately vacuumed my carpet, took a shower and put my clothes in the laundry. My only consolation was that I was able to cut my losses and even though I lost money, atleast I can sleep in peace. The moral of the story "Penny wise pound foolish", how true :(

(Image courtesy: http://www.maniacworld.com/stupid-people.jpg)
(Image courtesy: http://image.shutterstock.com/stock-vector-donkey-56207491.jpg)

No comments: