Monday, June 04, 2012

And mom makes history

It was a dream come true for me when Pramoda(my mother) arrived in the United States. Myself and my siblings owe much of the credit to mom's like Pramoda who have persevered and sacrificed the simple pleasures of life just to see that their children do well in life.

Spending my growing up years with her, I have come to respect mom for her intellect and wisdom. She is not perfect, does have her flaws as does every mom however she is an embodiment of compassion . The greyed strands of her hair, the wrinkles on her face and the vermillion on her forehead lend her a distinct aura.

I had titled this blog "And mom makes history", the reason being that hailing from a small village and her siblings of 6 sisters and a brother, nobody from her family had ever made a trip overseas. And also historic for the fact that mom was always dependent on us for travelling from our home to city or to our village. She travelled internationally for the first time without anyone accompanying her on a 26 hour long flight with 2 stops. Mom as a first time traveller was nervous and so were we.

However anxiety gave way to joy when I saw this frail person dressed in a saree anxiously looking forward to meeting her son. I was delighted and gave Pramoda a warm hug.

Speaking with limited or little English, Pramoda successfully reached her destination. Credit also goes to the helpful staff of Singapore Airlines.

As for Pramoda, Welcome to the United States :)

No comments: