Tuesday, August 04, 2009


Its the most yuckiest job. We all use it every morning when we discharge our waste. Yes I am taking about cleaning the toilet bowl which maybe Indian or the western commode.

I had my first brush with cleaning the loo when I was doing a part-time job in New Zealand. My supervisor who was a lady gave me the broom and the liquid to clean the men's toilet. She said she will take care of the women's toilet. Now I have never done this before. I just stared at her and told her frankly that I haven't done it before.

However my Supervisor insisted that I do it. Now I was at my wits end. I didn't want to disobey my supervisor as it was also a question of my job. I went to the men's toilet, thankfully there was only one western toilet. I started the cleaning job with a heavy heart thinking what I was doing in India and what am I doing here. Now the best part is that once I finished cleaning the loo I wasn't embarrassed anymore. In fact looking at the sparking toilet bowl there was a deep sense of satisfaction.

I have come a long way since then. Now even though I am back in India, every week I clean the toilet bowl myself. Its not an easy job alright however its a great leveler. Every time I do it I just can't stop admiring the sparkling toilet bowl :)

(Image Source: http://www.darkcreek.com/toilets)

1 comment:

Dhruv Shanker said...

Good post! I remember a somewhat similar incident when I underwent my industrial training at the Taj Residency. I was new to housekeeping and the thought of cleaning a bathroom didn't really appeal to me.

However, one room later it was just another job and my time in the housekeeping department was flushed down the toilet before I could blink.