Monday, December 27, 2010

My travel (mis)adventure

The week before the last weekend was a very eventful one for me. I had gone to attend the graduation ceremony on 17th December of my younger brother at Bowling Green, Kentucky. It was a story of missed flights, heart stopping moments and finally a sense of relief.

As always when I booked my flight there was a prayer on my lips that I shouldn't repeat history which had a not so glorious past. Yeah, I have been consistently missing flights, trains and buses :)

So when I booked my flight through Expedia.com, I went for the cheapest deal. The result was a mixed bag. Expedia with its motto of mix-n-match gave me 3 tickets. Out of that 1 ticket belonged to a different airline. So the itinerary was San Fransisco (SFO) to Las Vegas (LAS) - United Airlines, LAS to Dallas Fortworth (DFW) - American Airlines and DFW to Nashville (BNA) - American Airlines.

My first leg of the trip was smooth. Arriving at Las Vegas, even though I was aware that there was only a 50 minute gap for my next flight the photographer in me took over. As a result I ended up wasting around 10 minutes. Now I had to take a tram to go to the next terminal. The tram took its own sweet time. On board the Tram, I was confused as to which terminal should I get down. Once I reached the terminal I rushed to the American Airlines counter only to be shocked to find that counter was deserted. When I inquired at the next counter they informed me that the airline staff had already left. It was 12:33 a.m and I guess I was late. The flight departure time was 12:50 a.m.

I rushed towards the gate where I had to go through the security screening but the TSA agent wouldn't let me in without the boarding pass. My heart sank and I was cursing myself. I was destined to spend the rest of my night at the airport. There was a feeling of Deja Vu. I remembered the last time I missed my morning flight at Heathrow airport and had to while away my time till evening.

It was a very tormenting experience. My main worry was I didn't want to miss my brother's graduation ceremony and if I couldn't make it, my efforts would have come to naught. I kept wandering here and there in the terminal. The only people I could find for company was the airport night duty staff and some other stranded passengers. That was the only comforting factor in a despondent night. This was my first trip to Las Vegas and sometimes I felt like exploring the night life of Vegas but then again I wasn't sure about my next flight and so didn't want to take any chances.

It was 4 a.m in the morning. As the counters opened, I rushed to the United Airlines counter, the lady asked me what was I doing for 50 minutes? She said she would charge me $150 extra and that too the ticket would be only upto Dallas. I listened to her patiently and then when she kept on insisting the "50 minutes" lecture, I told her plainly that it was my first time and 50 minutes isn't that much time. To top it all, I wasn't given all the boarding passes at the first pickup point i.e. SFO. It cost me dearly. I told the agent I am not interested.

My only hope was the American Airlines counter. I told the Customer Rep about my missed flight and without uttering a single world, he gave me 2 tickets. I was delighted that I didn't have to pay a single dime and thanked the Customer Rep for his gesture. The airline departed at 6 a.m and I reached Dallas at 10:40 a.m. I thought my troubles were over. Now lies the twist. I was put on standby for my next flight to Nashville as the flight was full. What I initially thought was a boarding pass was a priority authorization. Now I didn't know what it was but definitely it wasn't a boarding pass. As the boarding call came, and the last of the passengers got in. I could feel a sense of breathlessness and then the airline staff told me to board the airline. I was ecstatic about finally making it. I thanked them profusely.

When I finally reached Nashville there was a sense of relief. As I was heading towards the exit, I saw a photo session with the Santa. This seemed to me like a good omen after all I have been through. I got a photograph taken. As you can see the photograph tells the whole story of a bleary eyed traveler.

My brother picked me up from the airport and drove like a maniac as the ceremony was scheduled at 5:30 p.m. My heart was in my mouth and I wasn't sure whether I came for the graduation ceremony or will end up somewhere else :) Luckily all's well that ends well :) I attended my brother's graduation ceremony and thanked the almighty that I made it.

So what's the moral of the story? Firstly cheaper isn't necessarily always better. Second, plan your itinerary carefully and lastly don't goof around when you have less time to spare :)

(Image courtesy: http://www.creditcardchaser.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/airplane.jpg)

1 comment:

Hari said...

hmmm Interesting.. I hope i was there at BG to listen it in person...LOL...I had same experience at Dallas 3 yrs back. only difference was I was travelling through greyhound bus. Anyway u made it..