Monday, March 08, 2010

Another weekend has gone by. If I were in India, I would have shopped for groceries or caught up with a latest movie with my family. Here in Concord, California, it's the same routine, except for a difference I am alone.

Sometimes the boredom gets to you. But I have some winged friends here. I am talking about the ducks which swim in the lake right opposite our apartment. In the stillness of night and at the crack of dawn I can hear the sounds of the ducks. It was a rare sight in the balcony yesterday, when I spotted two sparrows.

I was amazed because in my home town i.e. Hyderabad, sparrows are no longer seen. You miss them. I guess other cities such as Mumbai also have the same problem. This is due to the massive urbanization which has led to the extinction of many species apart from the greenery and sparrow was just but one casualty. (Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/hyderabad/Sparrows-no-longer-chirp-in-city/articleshow/5720959.cms)

So looking at the Sparrows, I was happy that they are safer here at least for the time being.

(Image courtesy: http://buildyourownbirdhouseplans.com/images/2008HouseSparrow.jpg)

No comments: