Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The countdown says 3 more working days to go :) Today afternoon I finally managed to visit the Provident Fund Office. It was not a pleasant experience once I reached there.

I stood in a queue for a long time and then was asked to go to another counter. The person manning the desk redirected me to the earlier counter. The man @ the previous counter again redirected me to the next counter. I felt like a ping-pong ball being tossed around.

There was an old PC, no helpdesk to assist people regarding the information they were seeking, rooms filled with heaps of paper files. In other words it looked like a typical government department. For a person who is used to working in cushy airconditioned private office with all the amenities a visit to a government office is an eye-opener. It literally brings them straight down to earth...:)

The only silver lining was that 2 individuals were prompt enough to help me regarding my query. In the end, though I couln't get the balance and transfer details I was a bit satisfied that I now know where I stand.

It begs the question as to how motivated people feel to work in government office(s) in such an environment. Our nationalized banks were once a typical example of a government office however the tough competition given by private banks have forced them to change.

In other words nationalized banks had to change if they had to withstand the competition and be in business.

The rest of my day @ work just flew. So here I am waiting for a new day to begin :)