Monday, September 17, 2007

Monday afternoon and it's back to work. I am feeling very drowsy and just about managing not to fall asleep @ my desk.:) It was a nice trip to Mangalore I had during my last weekend. On my way back I had a problem getting a bus ticket for a Volvo to Bangalore . I ended up purchasing a ticket for Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation’s (KSRTC)Karnataka Suvarna Sarige” which when translated to English means “Karnataka’s golden transport”. Contrary to the name it was nowhere close to what it promised except for the cheap fare.

It was a 3:2 seater, there was no place to keep my luggage and the intense humidity coupled with the fact that there was no pushback seats and the road condition on the ghat section of the road from Mangalore to Bangalore which is so bad that you might as well end up with a sore back made me change my mind @ the last minute. Thankfully I somehow managed to get a ticket for the KSRTC Volvo aptly titled “Airavat”. Airavat means the flying machine in kannada. It was around 5 a.m in the morning and as the bus was cruising along smoothly we could a hear a loud bang in the rear of the bus. After that noise there was a screeching sound whenever the bus began to pick up pace. I was praying and hoping that it was not the axle which has broken down.


After some distance the driver parked the bus @ safe corner of the road. The problem was with the inner rear tyre of the bus. It had suffered a tyre burst. The damage was immense as the tread seemed to have blown off due to the impact. The problem was solved and I ended up reaching Bangalore @ 8 a.m.

No comments: