Wednesday, October 17, 2007

For the first time while commuting to office I travelled by the KSRTC Volvo bus. The fare was INR 15 about 6 bucks more than the ordinary bus. However the nice thing about the bus is that you travel in air-conditioned comfort and it's quite spacious.

The moment I stepped out of the bus, the outside weather hit me. It was a stark contrast :) On my afternoon stroll, I came as a french tourist. She needed directions to go to "FabIndia" store located in Koramangala which is just a stone's throw from my office.

As I was guiding the tourist I encountered the crossdressers/eunuchs again. I tried to dodge him however he wouldn't let me go. I took out my wallet and gave him 5 bucks. I guess that was my biggest mistake. He started eyeing the whole wallet and wanted the 10 rupee note. I gave in and handed him the money.

I was shocked and enraged when the crossdresser demanded some more money. I just brushed him aside and walked on. My previous encounters were fresh in my mind and this time I gathered the courage to confront them.

The tourist thanked me for my assistance. I was happy that I helped someone. I feel that every citizen is an ambassador of their country and they should do their utmost to see that visitors enjoy their stay in the host country. It's even more important for India which has a dismal 0.5% share in the world tourist traffic.

At work, it was a satisfying day. The test application I am developing has come out quite nicely so far :)