Sunday, October 21, 2007

"Nothing is certain in this world except death and taxes" How true can that be? This was something which I realised yesterday.

There was this festival spirit of "Dussehra" and on the other hand there was a death in my neighbourhood. People in the house which is right next to the place where I stay were preparing the last rites for the person who died.

One can't miss the irony. While most of the houses in the vicinity were decked with flowers and banana leaves, there was a bit of gloom which had descended on this house. History has it that Prince Siddhartha who came to be later known as Gautam Buddha was visibly moved when he saw the procession of a dead man. Cut to the present day and age, a single day doesn't pass when we haven't read of deaths caused due to accidents, murder, disease, suicide, depression, homicide and violence.

We have become insensitive about it and it no longer causes shock and awe unless our own kith and kin are involved.

Anyways life goes on. Today I have plans to attend a wedding reception of one of my colleagues in the evening. It's been a long time I have dressed in a suit so I am excited about wearing it for the occasion. The only sore point is the dry cleaner while ironing the blazer has broken one of the buttons. I need to get it fixed :)