Monday, July 02, 2007

I spent Saturday's as usual doing my household chores and on Sunday, I watched the movie "Fantastic Four - Rise of the silver surfer". As it happens with such movies which are based on the similar series by Marvel comics, it's the victory of good over evil and here viewers are taken for a surprise when the person who is assumed to be evil reveals that beneath his hard exterior there's a noble soul within.

When I followed the news over the weekend of how Mumbai went under due to the deluge it reminded me of the not-so-good memories about my stay in Mumbai 2 years back on 26th July 2005. I was caught in the floods and what a nightmare it was. The only positive thing about the whole experience was it tested my patience to the limits against heavy odds. The sad part is it's become more of an annual ritual and I am not sure how long Mumbaikar's are going to suffer like this.

As a financial capital Mumbai gives you the impression of work-in-progress which never ceases to end. The dug up roads, garbage piled up, construction or proposed construction of flyovers, asia's largest slum, bad state of drainage system, lack of civic sense, an airport which has the distinction of being surrounded by slums, these are things which never change irrespective of which party rules the state or which organization control's the city's muncipality. What is amazing is that the city still survives.

Monday, as usual it's back to work. Somehow the day has been uninspiring so far.

No comments: