Saturday, April 07, 2007

Past few days, today being no exception my morning chores have changed a bit. Changed in the sense, I do my usual pranayams/breathing exercises and later have fruits. Apart from that I get some tiffin in the morning for my dad and make him a hot cup of bournvita.

Today when I read the morning newspaper, there was a sad story of a techie who went missing yesterday and whose body was subsequently recovered today. His name was Manoj and his native place is in Himachal Pradesh. Manoj was working as a Software Engineer for EMC Square, Bangalore.

He had made friends with one Syed who worked as an attender with an IT firm. They had gone for a picnic spot along with 2 of syed's friends who later crushed his head with a stone. Manoj's relatives got suspicious when they called up Syed who told them that Manoj had gone for his friend Anand's birthday party. His colleagues revealed that there was no one by the name Anand.

The cops found cash missing from the wallet of Manoj and the credit card transactions totalling 30000. The credit card trail was enough to catch Syed and 2 of his friends. I was a bit shocked reading this article as it was the 5th such case wherein a techie was murdered for gain. Many IT professionals migrate to cities like Bangalore but staying away from family, friends coupled with boredom and work stress takes it's toll. It can become a trap for them to make friendships with strangers and in some cases it can be fatal as is the case above.

Being a techie myself, I understand the hazards involved. We are in a economy where the IT revolution has only sharpened the digital divide further between the have's and have-nots. So it's better to have a low profile than flash your expensive gadgets such as cellphones and notebooks/laptops in front of people. This was also an advice given by the Investigating Officer to software professionals.

Watching T.V especially news channels like CNN-IBN can sometimes be boring. The past few days has seen the same news about Cricket, BCCI, players etc. It seems like the media has discovered a goldmine in the aftermath of India's debacle in the world cup.

I had a nice nap in the afternoon and then had lunch with my dad. I'll be dropping my dad in the evening to the Central Bus Station. His bus leaves @ 7 p.m

No comments: