Monday, January 22, 2007

In my previous entry I had written as to how excited I was about the weekend and that I planned to visit some of the hotspots in the city. Contrary to what I thought Saturday morning I spent doing household work and then ofcourse washing my clothes. Here my washing machine did a pretty good job..:)

I couldn't wash the whole set of clothes so washed 1 set on saturday and kept the rest for Sunday. Saturday morning when I heard the door bell ring and opened the door, it was the landlord's son who had a plate full of dosa and coconut chutney in the bowl. I was tempted to have it however I politely thanked him and his mom for the hospitality and said "I am not interested".

Sunday morning I couldn't wait to prepare my breakfast of scrambled eggs. I bought the whole stuff including the container for salt, red chilli powder and the cooking oil the previous day.

I left my house @ 11:30 and had to meet an ex-colleague of mine. The last time we met in Bangalore was 6 years ago. However we kept in touch on phone and via e-mail. Here I should commend the beauty of technology which has really "made it a small world". It helped me keep in touch(it still does..:)) with many of my old colleagues, friends and helped me befriend new people, though in many instances we have never met..:)

At Anil's(my colleagues's) home, I had a good chat with him and his wife Janet and their adorable kids, dion and their daughter(forgot the daughter's name :)). The lunch was pretty good and I left after having tea in the evening.

Going back home was a troublesome experience as the bus services were discontinued. The area where Anil stays is close to shivajinagar (Bangalore East) which has in been in the news for the riots which occured last friday. It seems riots broke out again around 4 p.m and people were left stranded waiting @ the bus stop.

I tried my luck waiting for sometime hoping that the bus service will be restored, however seeing the crowds swell, I didn't want to take any chances so hired an auto. It turned to be less expensive than I had thought and the auto driver was quite helpful..:) At times like these I realize how being multi-lingual can really help. I am not very proficient in kannada, can speak bits and pieces..however my familiarity with Telugu and Hindi really bails me out..:)

Monday morning, the day just passed by. I thankfully got the bus ticket for my travel home(hyderabad) on the 25th as it's going to be a long weekend. I was lucky to have got the tickets as most of the buses were full.

I also got to know the results of my client interview. We couldn't make it as the client's expectations was different. Anyway we were told to prepare ourselves for the next interview which is for another project.

In the evening, everyone made a quick dash to the exist as it was announced that all the office cabs will be leaving and it was the last shuttle. Probably as a precautionary measure due to the riots.

One thing which has been regularly making the rounds around coffee tables, canteens and ofcourse the media has been the intense discussion about "Shilpa Shetty's" appearance in the UK version of "Celebrity Big Brother" .

A lot has been said and written about it..however I personally feel shilpa should have known what she was getting into and she is being paid sh** loads of money for her appearance. I am not justifying racism here..I have personally experienced it when I was studying in New Zealand, however never encountered anything so nasty.

We Indians are as racist or more racist than anyone else. Shilpa didn't help her cause either when she introduces yoga to her house-mates by saying "We are so involved with our day-to-day activites that we have forgotten how to breathe"..these may not be the exact words but as per the article, a UK newspaper then screamed "Are we all dead then." It was a serious issue however on the lighter side I couldn't stop smiling when I read it.

No comments: