Friday, March 02, 2007

Thank God, it's a friday..that was the first thought when I opened my eyes in the morning..:)

Today there was a lot of fun @ work. It was a riot of colors and we were taken by surprise. All the team members went around smearing gulal(coloured powder) on our face, the occasion was holi, no one was spared..:) For a few minutes, it looked as if we were all kids playing around with colors. I felt really good as it's been a long time since I played holi. Initially I ducked for cover, but then gave in. Some hid in the restrooms and refused to come out..:)

One of my female colleagues came upto me and said that I was still looking clean and there was space for some more colors. I didnt want my clothes to get stained, so I told her to just apply a small amount of color on my face, thankfully she did just that..:) Later we celebrated the occasion with sweetmeats.

When we went to the cafeteria for lunch, people were looking @ us as if we were aliens..:) I guess seeing our faces and clothes smeared with colors, they would have been puzzled as to where did we play holi..:)

This happened 1 week before. I had gone along with a friend to coffee day @ forum mall. The bill came upto INR 104 and as I didn't have change I paid 500. The person manning the checkout counter was the Manager. This was around afternoon. In the evening when I had gone to pickup my sis and wanted to purchase something, I realized that I didn't receive the change. The next day I went to the same place and asked for the Manager.

As he wasn't there, I took his cell number. When I called him up, he promised to look into it and get back to me. After the call, I visited coffee day once again and spoke to the Manager again. I waited for a couple of days and when I visited Coffee day y'day, this time I was quite furous. I told one of the guys working there to call up the Manager. I spoke to the Manager and told him to give his superiors tel number. He was the area in charge. I spoke tough and gave him a piece of my mind.I also told him that it was not only a mere matter of money but also trust. He assured to look into the matter.

Within a space of few minutes, I got a call from the store manager who told me that he had checked the cash balances on that day and found no excess cash. I literally blasted him saying that what took him so long to give the information. I stood by my statement and told him that this amounts to cheating and I'll file a case with the police under Section 420. That threat seems to have worked. He finally relented and told me to get the cash from his boys @ 4:30 p.m

When I took the cash, I felt really good. I could have forgotton the whole thing and let it go (that would have been the easy part) however I fought for a cause I believed in and won..:) That also made me realize that "Knowledge is indeed power" and how much value education has in empowering each one of us.

No comments: