Tuesday, March 06, 2007

When I took the office shuttle today morning, I sat in the window seat and could feel the cool breeze blowing across. I went on a rewind mode..and compared it to the same time on Monday morning.

On Monday, as I had to get the number plate fixed on my car, I drove the car to work. I never knew that it was the beginning of a long and arduous journey. I started @ 8:20 a.m. My litmus test came when I stopped @ the traffic junction which was on a elevated road. As soon as the signal turned green, the car started moving back even though I had switched to the 1st gear. I immediately slammed the brakes. There was a Hyundai Santro car just behind mine. What happened next..was a nightmare.

As the car started moving back I came close to hitting the car behind. The driver in the rear car started honking. I was damn scared and it showed on my face with sweat streaming down from my forehead. I suddenly let go the clutch and pressed the accelerator with full force. There was a screeching sound from the tyres and a pall of smoke from the exhaust pipe, finally much to my relief the car moved ahead. I thanked my lucky stars and there was a sense of relief which was short-lived.

Now when I was approaching Bannerghata road, it was start and stop bumper to bumper traffic. The speed of the car reduced to a crawl. Though I had the option of switching on the air-conditioner, I thought it will be a waste of fuel as it will mean the car engine needs to be in the running mode. The only saving grace was the FM radio.

I never thought I would get stuck up in the traffic for nearly an hour. The sun was not showing any mercy and I was literally getting baked, well almost..:). If you need to test someone's patience,just put them bang in the middle of a traffic jam with the hot sun for company..:)

It was around 10:30 a.m that I finally managed to reach the Concorde showroom. The person in charge of car service @ the showroom gave me some tips about handling the car in such situations. After listening to him, I knew where I went wrong.

When I reached office, I distributed sweetmeats to everyone on the occasion of purchase of my new car which drew enquiries from my colleagues like which car was it, whether it's new or old etc..It was my PM Dalia's birthday today. It was nice to know that she was a piscean just like me..:)

At the end of the day, my car was ready with the number plate. I also got a miniature ganesha and a perfume bottle which I placed on the dashboard. I really need the divine blessings..:) When I drove back home, I was a relaxed man and this time I was not short of confidence..:)

Tuesday morning, we got loads of documentation from Dalia regarding our project. We had to study the same, most of which sounded greek and latin to me and everyone else. It was simply overwhelming. Dalia distributed sweetmeats on the occasion of her birthday on Monday.

Today is the last day of the induction program for new joinees in the project team.

We are scheduled to have a conference call with our on-site team from 6 to 6:30 p.m. That'll mean I will be missing my office shuttle and either need to wait till 8:30 p.m or take the public transport.

No comments: