Saturday, March 31, 2007

I am enjoying my telecon with my on-site counterparts. Though it lasts only for around 25mins, we discuss about work and also find time to crack some jokes..:)

Started my day early on Saturday morning. I cleaned my car after a long time, probably after a month. There was so much of dust. Anywayz it was worth it, as the car looked quite pretty after the cleaning was done..:)

I was about 45 mins late for my health checkup. The ride was smooth as it was a Saturday and there was fewer traffic on the roads. I had to be on empty stomach for the health checkup. The blood test and the Urine test went on fine. The only delay happened when I had to undergo an ECG (Electro Cardio Gram) test.

As I waited for my turn, I was watching the National Geographic Channel on television. It was a show on marine life. For sometime, the focus was on the sting ray fish. It was recently in the news as the crocodile hunter Steve Irwin was killed by a sting ray fish. Looking @ the fish, it looks so pretty and swims so majestically and you will be hard pressed to understand why it's being labelled as a villain. It has wide fins and several breathing gills (which are in the shape of a straight line) below its body. It was amazing watching it.

In the meanwhile I was feeling quite hungry. I managed to lay my hands on a journal "Indian Journal of Urology". One of the chapters was titled "Urology in Ancient India". It spoke about Indian medicine in the ancient period. We marvel @ the advances made in medicine and the west is considered a pioneer in this regard. But surgical practices were in a far more advanced stage in ancient India.

The credit goes to Susruta who was the first one to have done "Rhinoplasty" which implies reconstruction of the nose. He wrote a treatise "Susruta Samhita". Susruta also specialized in the study of erectile dysfunction and remedies for various urological diseases. Most of his research was painstakingly done and documented by undertaking a study of the decaying corpses kept near the beach. There was no luxury of morgue rooms in those days. Not only that, there were around 54 surgical instruments which were used and documented by him.

Western medical experts to a large extent agree that Indian medicine was the foundation for the modern western medicine and Susruta's theories remain valid till date. It was an engrossing article and I learnt many things I didn't know. Thankfully I got the call for my test.

For the test, I had to take off my shirt, vest, wallet, watch and any jewellery I was wearing. I was a bit shy as I was thinking that the person who would conduct the ECG test would be a guy, however it turned out to be a woman..:)

I was @ ease after I lied down on the bed. The lady placed some gel on my chest and then fixed the monitoring instruments. Once the test was done, I had a look @ the ECG graph and was trying to make sense of it. There was an upward curve and a downward curve, the rest was greek and latin to me..:)

On the way back home, I visited my old buddy Agni and we had lunch together. I need to come back tomorrow for the medical report(s) and consultation with the physician.

No comments: