Thursday, December 28, 2006

We had a rocking party y'day night and thankfully our christmas carol went fine barring a few hiccups. I had to rush to the party as I was a bit late. I had called up the cargo movers and was waiting for them to transport my luggage and a carton box containing some books, kitchen utensils etc.

I couldn't believe my eyes and had a quick rewind down the memory lane. It was on June 5th 2005 that I had arrived in Mumbai with a big luggage and a small hand baggage.

And now after 18 months, the luggage pieces have doubled to 2 + another big carton box with my stuff. I was relieved now that I had taken care of the extra luggage coz on board the flight you're allowed a max of 30 kilos. Above 15 kilos you're charged @ INR 70 per kilo. My only concern now is that the consignment should reach its destination safely.

Now for the party..it was good fun with all the employees, their wives and kids being present.The best highlight of the show was a bollywood dance item which had a medley of songs and the climax was the song "Signal, pyar ka signal" from the movie "Bhagam Bhaag". I loved the desert with Malai Kulfi and Gajar ka halwa..for the first time I let the good times roll as I savored the sweetmeat. I was stuffed and decided to take the walk home which immensely helped me to burn off the excess calories.

There was no hangover for me from the party last night, the reason being I reached home around 10:30 p.m in the night and thankfully I don't consume alcohol. In Hrithik Roshan's word's "I believe nothing is bad in moderation but things like smoking and drinking are difficult to moderate".

My flat-mate and I had a nice conversation after a long time, probably the reason being its my last few days in Mumbai. He must be relieved that his bug-bear is leaving..just kidding..:)

Anyways it was the middle of the night and I was blissfully enjoying my sleep when a sudden scream jolted me out of my bed. It was my flat-mate who was screaming "Ashith, please help me..these mosquitoes are making my life miserable. Do you have anything to protect me against the mosquitoes". I was a bit stumped and it took some time for me to recover. He said me "sorry for waking you up". I told him that I don't think there are any mosquitoes(BTW I light a tortoise mosquito coil every night before I hit the sack..:)).

In the morning, I gently told my flat-mate that the mattress he was sleeping was dusty and the real culprits might well have been the bedbugs. In other words I could see it coming coz my flat-mate used to always lie nearly naked on his bed with all the bedsheet rolled up. He admitted that probably the fact that he was sleeping without the bedsheet on, might be the reason for the rashes he has suffered.

As I was going to work on thursday morning, a familiar sight greets me that of the makeshift homes on the pavements with people going about with their daily chores. It really strikes you that there is not much space in mumbai and obviously even the pavements have become extinct with pedestrians being forced to walk on the roads @ a great risk to their lives and limbs.

It's another story that the people living in the temporary shelters live in apalling conditions along with their children and more often defecate in the open. The other thought in my mind was that the water supply will be restored today morning after the dry day y'day.

At work, there are a few tasks remaining to complete my handover formalities which included getting signatures from my Project Manager.

It was snack time and I had my favorite Neer dosa with coconut chutney. As the day draws to a close there's a tinge of sadness and hope. Sad coz tomorrow i.e Friday will be my last working day with the organization and hope coz I think everything happens for good and I can start my new year on a fresh note..:)

No comments: